Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Irregular Blogging Ahead

Feast Or Famine... Too Early to Tell

As some of you know, I work for an unnamed governmental entity in the Greater Houston area. For reasons that I can barely fathom, I have been named "essential personnel" to remain on duty while the rest of my department, including managers and the Grand Poobah, run for their lives from the approaching monsoon.

I seem to recall mentioning to my boss that I was single, no dependents and possessed of a reliable vehicle, which may have had something to do with my getting 'volunteered', but in truth, I probably would have stayed anyway. This is a nice strong building, there's a stand-by generator the size of Delaware out back, and I can be pretty certain that I'll have A/C and live 'net access for the duration.

I've got the Caddy's trunk full of food and water, the garage in this building has never flooded due to pumps that could drain the Gulf of Mexico in half an hour, and barring the possibility of having to climb many flights of stairs to get out of here, it's a lot safer than out in the 'burbs. OK, the building next door could tip over and flatten this site, but that's really unlikely.

So, I'm off to batten down the hatches at Casa Capitan, and make sure the kitties have enough kibble and a fresh poop-box. For me, the fun began with the start of the mandatory evacuations, and likely won't end until the last of the negligence lawsuits have been settled. It seems to be long periods of boredom, punctuated with short intervals of insane activity. So, I'll blog when I can, for as long as I can.

Wish me luck!

A quick PSA: If you need assistance getting out, go here for details.

If you're in a flood zone, and have the ability to get out, GET THE FUCK OUT OF THERE NOW!!! Staying and getting your ass in a jam just makes emergency personnel have to bust their asses needlessly.