Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Free Gifties From Apple

Didn't Get Any Bumper Stickers, Though...

Apple finally pulled the money for the iMac out of my account Monday at midnight. Bizarre accounting methods they use. Ordered the computer on Nov. 30th, they didn't record it as a sale until Dec. 2nd, and didn't get their cash until the 6th, four days after I already had possession of the machine.

So, I finally get this thing mostly set up and for whatever reason, I don't remember to run the System Profiler until last night to take a look at what hardware is actually installed. Imagine my surprise when the 2.0 GHz processor that I purchased registers in the Profiler as a 1.8 GHz version. Ooops. They're both Rev.B models, but there's a difference between 'em.

M9843xx/A 17-inch iMac G5 (Ambient Light Sensor), 1.8 GHz
M9844xx/A 17-inch iMac G5 (Ambient Light Sensor), 2.0 GHz

On the plus side, however, the 512 MB of RAM ordered has mysteriously increased to a full gig. Fancy that, and welcome to the dilemma.

I've already got this thing mostly tweaked to my satisfaction, software of various types loaded, and I really don't want to deal with the hassle of getting an RMA # and returning it. OTOH, if I have any warranty issues, I want the computer in my hands to match the one I ordered in their records.

I called Apple, let them know the facts (yes, even the part about the free 512 RAM stick) and left the matter in their hands. They put me on hold for about 10 minutes, and came back offering a $100 credit on the order. Woohoo!
I would have settled for a stack of Apple stickers and a T-shirt!

So, all's well that ends with me having an extra C-note. That bonus Benjamin's got a dose of prime aged ribeye and 12 yr old single malt scotch written all over it!