Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

The Best Potato Soup In The World!

Ok, maybe not the best, but it is pretty darn good!

Sunday, Army of Mom posted a recipe that I have prepared before, with minor differences. It's good! Now, I will try to match that goodness with a Sausage and Potato soup that our family just loves. This is a good cold-weather dish, and it makes enough to have leftovers the next day.

Sausage and Potato Soup


1 lb. Bulk Sausage (Hot, but mild could be substituted)
1 cup Celery, diced
1 med. Onion, diced
4 or 5 large potatoes, Russet or Yukon Gold
14 cups Chicken stock
1 quart Cream
1 stick Butter
5 tbsp White Balsamic Vinegar
1 to 1.5 tbsp Vanilla Extract
2 tbsp Flat leaf parsley, chopped(leaves only, no stems)

Brown the sausage and onions. Before they are done, add the celery and saute until soft. At the same time, peel and dice the potatoes into one inch chunks, place into the pot and add the chicken stock. Cook until potatoes are fork tender. Add cream and butter, and stir occasionally until butter melts. Add sausage, onions and celery and stir again. Add vanilla and vinegar just a minute or two before serving. Add the parsley right before serving.

I know, I know. "Vanilla and Vinegar? In a soup? Yuck!" I thought the same thing when I found this recipe, but I decided to give it a try. Folks, this is one of the best potato soups I've ever tasted. But, and this is a big but, It has to have the vinegar and vanilla, or else it's bland and not very good tasting. With them, it has a definitely distinct flavor and aroma.

Damn, I'm getting hungry just writing about this!

Walrilla