Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Thursday, October 05, 2006

How Nice! Another Dumbass!

Well, My Day *Was* Kinda Boring...

Ever seen the movie 'Chuck Berry: Hail Hail Rock & Roll'? It's a documentary about Chuck Berry's 60th birthday concert in St. Louis. Damn fine film, and well worth seeking out.

Back in the early 90's, I sat & watched the movie on cable in a hotel in Louisville, Kentucky with the members of the bluegrass band I was roadie-ing for. Since the film's guest list included a virtual who's who of rock & roll, we had a ball watching the movie. We were also busy sampling other products of Kentucky at the time, including the bourbon, bluegrass, and fried chicken, but that's another tale.

There was one part of the film that was an absolute jaw dropper. None of us could believe what we were seeing. Keith Richards (Rolling Stones guitarist/junkie, for those of you who live in caves) got into an argument with Chuck Berry over how to play one of his songs.

We're talking Chuck Berry, here. 'Maybelline', 'Roll Over Beethoven', 'Johnny Be Good', duckwalking charter member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Chuck Berry. The man may not have invented rock & roll, but he was for damn sure in on the ground floor. And along comes Keef 30 years after the fact to tell him how to play his axe.

It's Just. Not. Done. Faux Pas Jumbeaux. It's not quite cricket, old chap, and all that. You just don't step into another man's house and try to tell him what's what.

So, I told you that story in order to tell you this one. It's the kinda thing I woulda let slide into oblivion, but the instigator showed his ass once, then came back for more. Dumbass play #1.

I posted a tale of general dumbassery on the part of some of my beloved co-workers.

Some commenter from out of left field named "desertman" deigns to correct me on my math, which needed no correcting. Dumbass play #2.

When the subject under discussion is per diems, it's pretty clear that there will be multiples of $40 involved. Plus, if you bothered to actually read this site, you knew I was gonna be gone for more that two days, so your $80 "correction" was invalid on its face. Dumbass play #3.

So, I posted in the comments what my true outlay for the trip was, then playfully (I thought, anyway) returned to the theme with which I started and ended the post, and ended the comment with "Dumbass".

Genius returns, sees my retort, and gets his feelings hurt. It's true, sarcasm and gentle joshing don't translate in the written word, but instead of of emailing me (using my highly visible email address in the sidebar) and asking me "Dude? What's that about? I was only trying to help!", I get the following comment:
Dumbass? Me? your the one that wrote the tale of two meals. Name calling just confirms your low rate mentality and your me me me attitude on life. No wonder your alone. May God grant you serenity and mauturity as you stumble through life.
Now, see? That's just rude. He tries to invoke the deity to defuse his previous three insults, but his point was made clear, as is his true character. Dumbass play #4, btw...

So, desertman, you're hereby found mostly guilty of being a dumbass. We have a 5-strike Dumbass rule around here, so please justify your actions using your last remaining strike. If my assorted commenters find it worthy, we'll keep your IP off the banned list.

Your move, dumbass.