Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Friday, March 30, 2007

Another Movie Meme

Watching The Flickery FlickerFlicks.

Via Cowboy Blob who got it from Big Stupid Tommy by way of Sheila O'Malley, where I should have spotted it myself except that I haven't been dropping by Sheila's lately due to that mysterious inability to access her blog from the Mac at the house...

Anyway, the Weird 24 movie meme...

1. Name a movie that you have seen more than 10 times.

'Star Wars'. I was quite the addict in my youth. I quit counting after 125 viewings. I am part of the Rebel Alliance and a traitor. Take me away...

2. Name a movie that you’ve seen multiple times in the theater.

Again, 'Star Wars'. Probably 30 or 40 times, if you count up all the versions and re-releases.

3. Name an actor that would make you more inclined to see a movie.

Bill Nighy, Don Cheadle, Rachel Weisz and Zooey Deschanel are currently on my "Would Watch Them Reading A Phone Book" list.

4. Name an actor that would make you less likely to see a movie.

Most of the Saturday Night Live alums.

5. Name a movie that you can and do quote from.

'Blues Brothers', 'Blazing Saddles', 'Blade Runner', 'Big Trouble In Little China', 'Bull Durham'... Should I move on to movies that start with "C"??

6. Name a movie musical that you know all of the lyrics to all of the songs.

'The Rocky Horror Picture Show' & 'Best Little Whorehouse In Texas'. A brief explanation might be necessary here... We used to live next door to a couple who were with the touring company of the stage musical of 'BLWIT', and I'd seen the show numerous times and owned the soundtrack before the movie was released.

7. Name a movie that you have been known to sing along with.

Monty Python's 'Meaning Of Life', 'Rocky Horror Picture Show'

8. Name a movie that you would recommend everyone see.

'Serenity'

9. Name a movie that you own.

Almost too many to count. The first VCR tape I owned was 'Raiders of the Lost Ark', and the first DVD I bought was 'A Bridge Too Far'.

10. Name an actor that launched his/her entertainment career in another medium but who has surprised you with his/her acting chops.

Ice Cube. Not too shabby as an actor, but he needs to quit doing the kiddie comedies.

11. Have you ever seen a movie in a drive-in? If so, what?

Quite a few as a kid, including 'Star Wars', 'Jaws' and 'Close Encounters Of The 3rd Kind'. There's not too many drive-ins left these days, and it's a shame.

12. Ever made out in a movie?

Oh, yes. A XXX Drive-in, at that. We ended up having to hang newspapers off the sun visors and the windows to keep the other cars from having a better show that what was on the screen.

13. Name a movie that you keep meaning to see but just haven’t yet gotten around to it.

'An Inconvenient Truth'. I'll get around to seeing it in a few decades.

14. Ever walked out of a movie?

That horrible 'Ron Burgundy' newscaster movie made by Will Ferrell. Awful awful awful...

15. Name a movie that made you cry in the theater.

Probably 'Sounder' or 'Old Yeller', one of those dog-dying movies. I remember seeing it as part of a summertime theater for kids run by the public library. I mean, WTF were they thinking with those choices?? You had 120 kids bawling their eyes out at the same time...

16. Popcorn?

Used to eat it by the bucket. Not so much, anymore.

17. How often do you go to the movies (as opposed to renting them or watching them at home)?

I go maybe once every 6-8 weeks. I used to go all the time. The increasing boorish behavior of the cinema-going crowd has greatly reduced my desire to pay $9.00 in order to hear cell phone conversations over the movie dialogue.

18. What’s the last movie you saw in the theater?

'300'

19. What’s your favorite/preferred genre of movie?

Mystery/Heist/Whodunnit type of movies.

20. What’s the first movie you remember seeing in the theater?

Not a theater per se, but I recall our church having a family movie night and showing 'She Wore A Yellow Ribbon' on a 16mm projector in the Fellowship Hall. I was maybe 5 or 6 at the time.

21. What movie do you wish you had never seen?

Run-DMC's 'Tougher Than Leather'. It really added the "C" to Rap.

22. What is the weirdest movie you enjoyed?

Probably a 3-way tie between 'Repo Man', 'Welcome to Woop Woop', and 'Man Facing Southeast'.

23. What is the scariest movie you’ve seen?

Anything with Shirley Temple or talking babies.

24. What is the funniest movie you’ve seen?

While I'm quite fond of 'The Blues Brothers' and 'Trading Places', the movie that lately made me bust a gut is 'Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle'. It's got kind of a "been there, done that" vibe to it that really hits home.

Honorable Mention goes to 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off'. The scene where Ferris's sister Jeannie is skipping school, completely pissed at Ferris, and then she looks up and the water tower has 'Save Ferris' painted on the side... I literally rolled out of the theater chair I was laughing so hard.