Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Friday, September 14, 2007

WTF Is Going On Around Here?

All The Sprues That's Knit To Glint

My life has turned into one neverending extended sitcom pratfall. Immediate calamity, followed by laughter from the studio audience...

OK, here's a quick recap:

Last weekend, Dad's in the hospital for possible stroke. Turns out that everything's OK, and we might be looking at an odd but mostly harmless form of amnesia.

El Capitan's Stress Level - Elevated.

Yesterday was a double whammy from a medical perspective, my sister goes in for gallbladder surgery, and an old friend also checks into the hospital so the docs can peek under the hood. They're both out and back home, nevertheless...

El Capitan's Stress Level - Even More Elevated.

My truck's been giving me fits. For two weeks it was slowly leaking coolant, probably through the heater core. I'd already spent $24 on 3 jugs of Prestone to keep it topped up, when *POOF* problem disappears. Not a drop leaked in 4 days. OTOH, now the turn signals and hazards don't work. They haven't worked since the leak stopped. Can't use arm signals to turn (as if anyone would recognize what I was doing...) because my driver's side window hasn't worked since last winter. Except last night, the turn signals worked fine. But not this morning, even with headlights on. I'm sooo confused...

El Capitan's Stress Level - Reaching Red Zone.

Betsy Cat got evicted from her litterbox lounge. I removed it from the bathroom, and the entire area was bleached and cleaned. So, Betsy Cat is now sleeping in the other litterbox under the hot water heater platform, much to Pookie Cat's dismay. After the extended flea battle, they're both pest-free, so why's she still wanting to spend 18 hours a day laying in the cat shitter? I know she needs some petting to calm her after the extended flea exercise, but she stinks, and I ain't touching her until I shampoo her. This repeated cat bathing traumatizes Betsy Cat even more, leading to more litterbox lounging. I'm sooo confused...

El Capitan's Stress Level - Crossed Into Red Zone.

Got ambushed at a public meeting last night. Nothing like being put on the spot in front of 75 citizens with no prep time and no graceful way to back out. I'd like to say I rose to the occasion and performed like a champ. Instead, I called a quick huddle, threw it back in the organizer's lap with a statement very similar to "Poor planning on your part does NOT constitute an emergency on my part!" and bailed. If it had been any other office pulling this stunt, I would've helped out, but this crew has screwed me over too many times in the past, and they were fresh out of favors. If you need a guest speaker, you ask me BEFOREHAND. Even half an hour is OK. Not 30 minutes after the program has begun.

El Capitan's Stress Level - Needle Pegged on "MAX PRESSURE".

Finally, came home last night after said meeting, and found this:




That's a ceiling that's collapsed due to the A/C drain gettting clogged and leaking onto the insulation batting and the sheetrock ceiling. When the water weight exceeds the hold of the sheetrock screws and paint, down she comes! All that got-damned insulation all over the room. Itch-city. Looks like someone's been shaving a scrofulous old poodle.

El Capitan's Stress Level - Pressure Gauge Exploded, Emotional Collapse Imminent.

Well, there's a solution available to me, when garden-variety remedies for stress and inability to cope just won't do...