Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Monday, October 01, 2007

West Houston Smoke & Powder Crawl #11

My Truck Smells Like A Cigar Factory...

Wow. Fun weekend! Those don't happen all that often.

After treating myself to some sushi, gyoza & udon on Friday night, I crashed early so I could get out to the American Shooting Center bright & early on Saturday morning for some gunsmoke and cigar smoke.

There's a crew of local cigar aficionados that get together every year to tour the local tobacconists and gnaw on some seafood following a trip to the gun range. This was the 11th year of the event. I joined them for the 9th, but missed it last year.

I was prepared this year, and had my travel humidor, cigar punch and jet-engine lighter. I'd shoot for a bit, then kick back and savor a Macanudo maduro for a while. I was in no hurry.

As everyone arrived, the organizer Richard handed out goodies. I got a whole pile of interesting cigars, including a "golf cigar" (which could double as a prop on a XXX movie), as well as some assorted cigar paraphernalia.

We did the Cigar Shoot-off, the winner getting an even bigger stack of cigars. Alas, I did not win, place or show. El Capitan was having an off day.

I finally got to see someone shooting the Smith & Wesson .500 Magnum. Boy, that's a beast of a revolver. The owner opened the cylinder, and the diameter was not much smaller than a coke can. That's for only 5 rounds, mind you...
I'm sure it's fun to own, but if you need all that much pistol, and at $5 per shot, y'oughta just get a rifle, IMHO.

After the shoot-off, we headed to Paul's Boat on Hwy 6 for some seafood. Due to the health-nuts whinging about secondhand smoke, we were banished from the usual upstairs hangout, and forced to use the back patio. It was hotter than an oven, and had a delightful view of the dumpster. The piece de resistance was the pair of turkey vultures perched on the dumpster waiting for scraps. Yummy...

Next stop was the Richmond Ave. Cigar store, where I bought a trio of interesting cigars, and settled in the store's "lounge" for an extended puffing session. To go next door to Collector's Firearms would be financial folly on my part, so I tried to avoid it.

The pull of the guns won out, and I finally went over to ooh and aah at their incredible collection. I got to put my mitts all over the Ruger 4" bbl Redhawk, and decided it's just too much pistol to try and carry concealed. You'd have to use a shoulder holster... your pants would fall off your ass if you tried to belt it on.

I called it quits after that, and headed home. It was a fun trip, I've got enough cigars to hold me until the new year, and I might have to go back to Collector's Firearms to pick up something interesting I saw there.