Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Attack Of The 10 Lb. Novel, Redux

In Which We Are Rewarded For Our Diligence & Loyalty

Dunno if you recall, but a bit over a month ago I was griping about the possibility of having to re-read the entire 'Wheel of Time' series by Robert Jordan. I have an unread copy of Vol. 11 waiting on me, and Vol. 12 was due out anytime.

Problem was, I read volume 10 back in early 2005, and the other 9 volumes stretched back in time. I didn't want to be fuzzy on the characters and plot before diving in to the latest of this epic series.

So, I debated the issue, decided, "Oh, to hell with it!" and picked up Vol. 1 and dove back in. 10 books averaging 800 pages each? Chickenfeed. Be done in 2 weeks. OK, maybe 3 weeks.

I'd just finished Vol. 2, and was a goodly chunk into Vol. 3 when I heard the really exciting news.

Robert Jordan died this past Sunday, leaving Vol. 12 unfinished and unpublished.

(pause for reflective silence, punctuated by El Capitan's gritting teeth)

Guess I can slow down my frantic reading rate a bit.

BTW, the webcomic Something Positive ran a strip on Jordan's passing.