Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Attack Of The Ten Pound Novel!

When Your Hobby Becomes Destructive To Good Health

I can't do it. Not again.

I picked up 'Knife of Dreams', the eleventh book in Robert Jordan's 'Wheel of Time' series, thinking I might be able to sneak back into the fantasy novels after a two-year absence.

Rockhauler had loaned me the hardback version not long after it was released in October of 2005. It sat gathering dust until I felt guilty about it, so I bought the paperback version, meaning to ship the hardback to Rockhauler. Naturally, I hung onto the hardback for another several months, 'cause I'm just ignunt that way.

I had delayed getting into the book because it had been over a year (and probably closer to two years) since I'd read Volume 10. And of course, when I finally got to Volume 10 after a 2 year gap from when Volume 9 was published, I was unemployed with lots of time on my hands, so I went back and reread the entire effing series, from page 1 of Volume 1, to page 860-something of Volume 10. 10 books, each with an average of 800-odd pages.

So, I pick up Volume 11, and start to read. Almost immediately, I'm trying to remember who these people are. Which ones are good, which ones are bad, and which ones just want to suck your soul out through your bunghole.

I read the glossary in the back of the book. (How many of your favorite novels need a glossary??) It didn't help much. I need to either find a Cliff Notes for the series so far, or admit my error and start again at the beginning.

I don't have time for this. I just want to know how the damn thing ends, and Jordan STILL hasn't published Volume 12 yet...

On the plus side, I finished Steven Gould's book 'Jumper' as well as the sequel 'Reflex'. Both were good, but 'Reflex' was much better than its predecessor. So much better, in fact, that I'm tempted to tell you to skip 'Jumper' and go straight to Part Two.

It turns out that 'Jumper' is on the Top 100 list of most challenged library books. Can't say I'm surprised. There's some content that almost every teenager will read and say "Yup, that's how life is", but their parents will freak out upon reading and demand the book be pulled from circulation.

Trust me, they're a good read. Read 'em, then give 'em to your teenager. They'll thank you for it!