Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Monday, August 06, 2007

Big Ol' Flat Toitles

Urban Safaris Our Specialty!

Check out this guy...



He (actually, it's probably a she) is a sizable beastie! You could set him down on a Buick hubcap, and not have a lot of chrome showing through.

I've seen bigger softshell turtles, but not very often. Most often they're about the size of an IHOP pancake. Usually they'll get snarfed up by a catfish or a snapping turtle before they get frisbee-sized.

This one's a resident of the Puddle of Perpetuity behind our local Walmart. It's a low spot in the turf that never drained really well, and after the huge flood in 2002, it's been a spot of marshland in our neighborhood. Occasionally, I'll park my truck back there and watch the herons go spearfishing for frogs.

To tell the truth, I'm kind of tempted to go frog gigging there some dark night. I'll get a mess of frog legs, then make a bunch of tiny wheelchairs for all the legless frogs!