Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Friday, September 21, 2007

A Handful Of Trouble

How Long Until We Get Bionic Replacements?

Bad hand day yesterday. It's one of the reasons I didn't post anything.

I'm just too damn young to be having this arthritis shit creeping up on me. Doc says that I'm not far enough along to need treatment like cortisone shots or the "jam 'em up a cow's ass" heat therapy. (Doc's a bit of a kidder)

I'm also sure there's more than a bit of tendonitis, brought on by my non-stop pecking on a keyboard and moving a mouse around.

I was on my way out of the office Tuesday evening, and rapped my left hand knuckles on the security door latch plate. Hurt like an SOB, but not nearly as much as when I tried to straighten out my hand.

'Cause it wouldn't.

Freaked me out most traumatically, that did. All you want to do is extend your fingers, but they're not moving. Well, the ring finger and pinkie did, but they stopped cold when they couldn't pull my middle finger along with 'em. I'm sitting there in the lobby, staring at my hand like it's grown a face or something, and of all things, I'm wondering how I'm gonna pull my car keys out of my front pocket with my hand like that.

I massaged on my hand, and something popped loose, and everything was most ricky-tick once again, except for a dull pain most of yesterday.

But now came the freaky bit... I went out for dinner Tuesday evening, and while I was tapping Sweet & Low from the packet into my iced tea with my *right* hand, it froze up, too. Did it again last night, also when I was doctoring up my tea. I may have to switch to Dr Pepper...

Needless to say, I'm a bit concerned. I do any number of precise fiddly things with guns & computers & small animals, and that all needs a good degree of manual dexterity, and this doesn't bode well for any of it. The constant dull ache comes & goes, and only gets really bad when my hands get too cold.

Sigh. I'm not liking this very much. Maybe I oughta try those gin-soaked raisins that Flip-Flop Kerry's ditzo wife was promoting during the last election. You need how many daily, half a pound? Can you drop them in tonic water? Maybe bypass the raisins altogether?