Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

No Hangovers Here!

The Tijuana Trots? Got Them Mas Mucho! OLÉ!

I'm back once again in the indifferent embrace of The Man, after an 11 day "vacation" from his hallowed halls. I should be more diligent about my work habits, I suppose, this being the start of a new year.

The simple truth is, however, there ain't shit to do this week. All I really need to accomplish between now and 5 pm today is grunt out a December end-of-month report, and wait until Monday for the rest of the section to come back from their vacation to start the 2008 tasks.

OK, about that New Year's Eve party...

My buddy Cisco Kid called me up over the weekend to invite me up to his casa in order to grill some steaks, drink some booze, shoot some fireworks and usher in the New Year. Also in attendance would be some old friends from high school, and some of Cisco Kid's relatives.

So, off I went up towards Tomball, stopping to pick up an assortment of delicious drinking alcohol and about $50 worth of Chinese doohickery that emits smoke, sparks and eventually explodes in a shower of flaming chemicals. I hadn't bought fireworks in probably 6 or 7 years, and things have changed a bit. Not so many bottle rockets or roman candles available, but lots of mortars and "brick" rockets that shoot 25-200 tiny missiles.

I'm a complete sucker for those pre-mixed bottled cocktails, and when you display them by the cash register as an impulse buy, I'm heading down the express lane to inebriation. So, as I'm leaving the fireworks stand and heading to the Cisco Kid's house, the first two margaritas are getting poured down my throat. Normally, I don't recommend drinking and driving, but if you drive carefully, you can avoid those annoying bumps that slosh your booze around.

I tore into the beer and the steaks with equal gusto upon arrival. The Cisco Kid always lays out an impressive spread, and this time was no exception.

Two old friends were already there. One that I'll call 'Hoagie' I've seen numerous times since he's returned from 18 years spent in SE Asia. The other that I'll call 'Nash' I hadn't seen since 1988 or so. We were also joined by Cisco Kid's sister, his niece and her boyfriend, and, of course, the 22 year old hottie named Jessica tagging along with the niece.

It was an interesting evening. In the course of imbibing lots of booze, we managed a semi-serious poker game, experimentation with the Guitar Hero video game, and a cigar or two. Oh, and fireworks... lots of fireworks!

Cisco Kid's niece got potchkied way too early, and cratered. This left her friend at the mercy of 4 dirty old men. Heh. In truth, she was drinking us under the table for a while, at least in enthusiasm. Eventually, body weight and BAC capacity caught up. I don't know how this 110 lb. girl managed to put away at least half a 1.75 liter bottle of Grey Goose and remain upright, but she did it. She also felt the need to get cozy with each of us in turn, and though she remained fully clothed throughout the evening (damn the bad luck...) she managed to make sure we were familiar with what she was equipped with.

About the time she pulled out the can of whipped cream and was showing us how dextrous she was with a tongue, Cisco Kid's sister decided it was time to take her home. As a responsible adult, I had to agree with her rationale. As a horny old fart, I was quite distressed...

Eventually I sobered up enough to get home, where I intended to stay awake all day to reset my body clock to a normal work schedule. Ha! As if! I managed to stay awake long enough to scribble out the previous blogpost, then crashed until 3 pm, awakening only long enough to gorge on blackeyed peas, cornbread, turnip greens and a whole shitload of those little cocktail weenies in BBQ sauce.

So, there's the story. A good start to 2008, as far as I'm concerned! Hope yours is going just as well!