Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Monday, October 20, 2008

An Eventful Weekend

I Was Completely Vertical All Day Saturday!

Much ado in H-Town for El Capitan!

Friday morning started off with a celebrity encounter. I'm not one to get all giggly over the Hollywood folks, but this cat was one of the headliners in two of my all-time favorite comedy movies, 'Trading Places' & 'The Blues Brothers', so it was kinda cool to see him cycling through town.

I'd heard on the radio that Dan Aykroyd was in town to open up the latest House Of Blues restaurant/nightclubs. I'd missed the radio interview, and he'd apparently just left the studio.

Anyway, I'm rolling down Memorial heading towards downtown, just past the park, and I spot two full-dress Harleys up ahead. The riders are wearing cycle club leathers, which is unusual to see on a weekday. They're just putt-putting along, so I ease up to the rear bike, and see it's a woman hanging on to a big Santa Claus-lookin' dude, and she's got a House Of Blues leather jacket on.

"AHA!" sez I. I know who these bikers are!

Sure enough, the lead biker was Dan Aykroyd, all dressed up in House Of Blues leather gear on some kind of ginormous Harley. They peeled off on the Shepherd exit, and though I yelled "WINTHORP!!!" I'm sure he didn't hear me through the helmet and over the big engine.

Probably for the best...

Saturday was busy from start to finish. I was up early to run various errands and get my ears lowered at the barber shop, then up to the Cisco Kid's place to meet some friends for a BBQ for most of the day.

The weather just couldn't have been better. We sat outside all afternoon, cooked & devoured chicken and ribs, drank beer & scotch, smoked big fugly cigars, and shot a BB gun at defenseless soda bottles. We even had animal encounters. The creepy praying mantis, we only shot cameras at. The rat in the green house? The Cisco Kid settled his hash with a clean headshot, and all was well.

I tried the pale ale from Southern Star Brewery, a small craft brewery located in Conroe, just up the road. Their "Pine Belt Pale Ale" will please fans of hoppy IPA's, but if you're not into bitter beers, it might not be your cup of brew. It comes in 4-packs of 16 oz. cans, and I really don't recall what I paid, but it was around $7.

Sunday? Sunday is a day of rest, after all, so I napped like a hibernating bear that's been given an I.V. drip of Thorazine and Versed.