Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Extra Fancy 1911 Grips!

Something Else I Can't Afford...

I much prefer a brushed stainless finish to polished, but I sure do like the look of the turquoise grips!




My maternal grandmother made several trips out west to the Navajo & Zuni reservations, and was quite fond of turquoise jewelry. No doubt if she had been a 1911 fan, she might have owned something like this pistol. Alas, her taste in pistols ran to tiny vest-pocket .22s, not full-size autoshuckers!

These are listed at Collector's Firearms as faux turquoise grips mounted on a Colt Custom Shop .38 Super. If they were the genuine article, those slabs of blue rock would likely cost more than my Springfield Armory 1911A1 did brand new... The blued finish on mine has seen better days, plus it's got a mismatched barrel, so a set of grips like these would be like putting thoroughbred racing gear on a burro.

All the same, I'd like to own a "courthouse" or "BBQ" .45 Auto some day. I'd been looking around for someone to do a custom set of sterling silver grips. I've got one full set and two partial sets of sterling flatware handed down from long-dead relatives, and I'll likely split Mom's set with my sister someday. So, no lack of fancy eatin' tools. I've considered taking all the weird pieces I'm unlikely to use, like the shrimp forks and demitasse spoons and making sterling grips with a built-in family heritage.

To add to the family heritage angle, it'd be cool to have the grips engraved with a version of my grandmother's flatware pattern, but it's very tempting to seek out someone who can inset some quality turquoise as well!