Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Exercising The Franchise

"Perhaps America will one day go fascist democratically, by popular vote."
- William L. Shirer


The deed is done. Got my vote cast early this morning. From the comments and conversations of the others standing in line waiting for the polls to open, my precinct swings mostly conservative.

One guy shared something he'd heard on the radio: "Due to overwhelming voter turnout, and in order to ensure a safe and efficient voting experience, we're implementing a new policy where all Republicans can stand in line today, and Democrats can have the polls to themselves all day Wednesday."

I'm nervous, to tell the truth. Oh, I think we can survive an Obama presidency. The Oval Office is no stranger to knaves and poltroons. Still, the potential for civil unrest and violence is still there, no matter who wins, and I don't relish the thought of having to mount hurricane fencing on my truck to ward off Molotov cocktails in the coming weeks.

Also worrisome is the notion that Obama will refuse to concede if the Electoral vote goes against him. Presidential elections being decided by the SCOTUS is certainly not what the country needs.

Ah, well. The voting (mine, anyway) is done. The waiting begins.