Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Monday, December 01, 2008

Back To The Grind!

I'm Taking My Lunch Break Right Now. Honest!

I sure hate returning to work after a 4 day weekend. Oh, who am I kidding? I hate returning to work most of the time.

We've been told that not taking a lunch is no longer optional. So, my days of working 10-6 are probably coming to an end. It's not that I can't get here at 9, it's just that that parking is so much worse. See, if I pull into the parking lot at 9:05, you're just in time for the 8:00 arrivals to have checked in, signed out a car, and gone back out to the remote lot to head out on business. Of course, sometimes you have to wait for 1-2 cycles of the shuttle before a spot opens up, so my usual time getting inside the building is after 9:30.

Some nosy parker apparently didn't like me working a straight eight, and complained to higher-ups, so now even the exempt (aka salaried) folks are being told to take a minimum 30 minute lunch.

Last week was pretty much a kidneystone of a week. Rockhauler was going to drop by on a visit, but paperwork snafus and Mr. Murphy prevented that. I assume he made it from Houston to New Orleans and back home. OTOH, you could pawn that big rig for about 3 weeks of absolute debauchery in the French Quarter, so who knows?

Thanksgiving was not what I expected. Faced with the awesome magnetic pull of grandchildren, my cozy Thanksgiving dinner with the parents got abruptly cancelled as they went tear-assing across Texas as soon as my BIL relented and gave his assent for their visit. I can't really blame him, my folks would be there 24/7/365 if they had the choice.

I had to work Wednesday, and had a pre-existing commmitment Thursday afternoon here in Houston, so I couldn't make it out to San Marcos to join them for lunch. So, my Thanksgiving dinner was a pack of Oscar Mayer turkey lunchmeat and a couple of slices of cold pizza. Ah, well. Sometimes you get the b'ar, sometimes the b'ar gets you.

After twitting Walrilla on his choice of motorsickle boots, I thought it would be hilarious to actually open a bar called the Blue Oyster Bar. Turns out there's already two, in Dallas AND Houston. Go figure... Oh, and the tango played in the Blue Oyster Bar? Turns out it's called "El Bimbo", so go figure again!

So, I guess it's back to my original choice for a bar name... Once they legalize gambling in Galveston, I'll have to have a combo bar and card room down there called the Come Drop Inn, "Liquor up front, Poker in the rear!"