Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Monday, February 23, 2009

Mangia! Mangia!

Now, I Just Need Monica Bellucci For A Dinner Date...

Prior commitments kept me tethered to Houston this weekend instead of escaping to Salado with Cisco Kid, Festus & Zibig for a 3 day LAN party at Doc's place. I have yet to hear from any of the players, so I'm assuming they made it back in one piece, and are not still locked in mortal FPS combat.

I scored a couple of DVDs at the used video shop. Steve Martin's 1991 film 'L.A. Story', which has not aged well, and John Sayles' film 'Lone Star' which is still pretty sharp. They had a copy of 'Shallow Grave', a brilliant film directed by Danny Boyle, who won an Oscar last night for directing 'Slumdog Millionaire'.

I would have loved to buy it, but they were asking $37 for a used copy. Ouch. More than I want to spend on a single DVD!

After that, it was off to inspect an Italian eatery called Piatto. I'd spotted it recently while out looking for a cigar shop on Westheimer between Kirkwood & Wilcrest. It appears to be part of the Carrabba family of eateries.

I got there about 8:30, and the place was nearly deserted. Seemed odd for a Friday night. Most places were packed to the gills. Service was good, food was great, prices not too bad. Maybe the location?

Anyway, I had the asparagus appetizer. There was a big ol' pile of huge spears, each lightly breaded & fried, then covered with a delicious lemon butter sauce and an obscenely huge pile of lump crabmeat. Best $12 I've spent in a long while. I just hope I didn't make piggy noises while scooping up the lemony buttery crabmeat...

Entree was a huge slab of sea bass covered with a mango/avocado/red pepper salsa & a side of broccoli. The sea bass was really tasty, big firm flakes of fish just barely cooked through. Now, whether it was really sea bass or "Chilean sea bass" aka Patagonian toothfish, I can't really say.

Dessert was a huge slab of bread pudding with a bourbon glaze, served a la mode. It was really good, but I think I'm going to develop a way to form bread pudding into bowls and serve the ice cream inside, rather than let it melt on the plate and make a gooey mess.

Quite a feast, and I wobbled home to watch my movies afterward!

MMMMMmmmm..... Asparagus!