Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Monday, September 24, 2012

Halfway To Halibut

I'm Losing Too Many Brain Cells...

Ever had a recipe you used to cook all the time, but for whatever reason you haven't had it in years?

Back when I was living in Dallas, I used to score big slabs of halibut from Central Market or the really nice Tom Thumb over on Preston, and have myself a fishy feast.

I pulled the original recipe out of a microwave cookery book, tweaked it a bit, and prepared it once or twice a month.  Low cal, tasty, (assuming you like fish with a bit of chew to it) and quick, less than 30 minutes from open-the-fridge to stuff-your-piehole.

Basically, you nuke-saute sliced onions in olive oil in a big casserole dish, add sliced peppers & shallots, then pile the fish on the onions.  Nuke 6-8 minutes, then flip the fish, pour on sliced stewed tomatoes and finish with another blast of electrons.

10 years ago, it tasted great.  Now, it's still good, but it's missing something.

The problem is, I'm leaving something out, and I can't figure out what it is.  It just doesn't taste the same.

I can't find the cookbook, the old industrial-strength microwave I used to have has been put out to pasture, and I've also misplaced my old Corningware casserole dish.

Still, I think it's an ingredient, not the prep.  What am I leaving out???