Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Music Worth Watching

A Trio Of Tune Films

I'm usually not much of a biography fan.  Don't read 'em much, and I almost never tune in to the Biography channel.

Despite that fact, I happened across a trio of documentaries that I really enjoyed, and I'd like to spread the word, so to speak.

The first I may have mentioned on FB already, or made a passing reference here a while back.  It's the biopic of the Canadian band Rush, called 'Beyond the Lighted Stage'.  It tracks the band through the garage days in suburban Toronto up to the present, and  even for those who aren't hard-core Rush fans, it's an entertaining look at life on the road and in the studio.

There's a boatload of interviews with musicians, and the list of those influenced by Rush might surprise you!
It's very entertaining and well worth watching, so grab a copy on eBay, or see if you can get it through Netflix.


The next one might not appeal to people named Lebowski, or The Dude, or His Dudeness, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

I was flipping channels on cable the other night and stumbled on the Eagles biopic called 'The History of the Eagles, Pt.1' on Showtime.  There's apparently a Pt 2, but I haven't seen it yet.  Part One runs from the late 1960's up to the early 1980's, when the Eagles broke up after the album 'The Long Run'.

It covers a lot of ground, from the early careers of Glenn Frey and Don Henley to the LA music scene in the 70's.  I learned a lot I didn't know.  F'rinstance, I knew that the Eagles had links to Jackson Browne and Linda Ronstadt, but did you know that Frey sang with Bob Seger?

It's a brand new film, so I guess you're SOL if you don't have Showtime.  Still, it'll get released on DVD sooner or later.  It's a must for Eagles fans.


The last one I found on YouTube.  It's a BBC Scotland production on Gerry Rafferty. (Baker Street, Right Down the Line)

Split into 4 parts on YouTube, it's about an hour long and covers his partnership with comedian/singer Billy Connolly in the Humblebums, and Joe Egan in Stealers Wheel and on to his solo career.

I really enjoyed this one, and you can't beat the price!  Check it out!!