Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Saturday, March 19, 2005

Closing Out Day #2 Of The 2005 Texas Blogfest

Wow. What a day!

Zippo and I parted ways with the rest of the Blogfest crew about 6 pm, to allow the ones going to Fort Worth time to get gussied up for a night of hoo-rawin' with the hordes of shitkickers and shitkicker wannabes over at Billybob's. Nothing against shitkickers, I've trod on enough cowflop in my day to cover a good sized county. I've just had my fill of redneck bars.

Anyway, Zip and I had an alternate arrangement tonight. We met Andy & Laura and my friend Kosher Red up at Maggiano's in Plano for dinner. After the controlled chaos of the previous 24 hours, it was good to just take it easy and have a small gathering for a while.

Zip and I got there early, and we availed ourselves of their selection of single malt scotch. To be honest, they didn't have nearly the selection I thought they should, but they did have the 25 year old Macallan, which absolves them of many sins. I had a bit of a shock when paying for those bad boys. I pulled out a pair of Jacksons to cover the tab for 2 (that's TWO) highball glasses of that ethereal liquor, but it took a third $20 added to the pile to clear the tab, and I couldn't have paid for a Happy Meal with the change. Holy shite! Still, it was a fantastic glass of hooch, and the company couldn't be beat.

Kosher Red showed up next, looking fetching in her new skirt. I was under the impression she'd had jeans permanently grafted on her legs, since that's all I've ever seen her in up to now, so I was quite touched that she'd gotten all girled up for the evening.

A&L showed up right as the clock hit our reservation time, and we had just gotten our introductions finished when the Head Honcho In Charge showed up to seat us. See, Zippo is people that KNOWS people, so we got some pretty posh service tonight.

Food was great, conversation was better, though I wished I had more face time with everyone individually. I felt bad that I couldn't concentrate fully on every conversation, and I felt I was about 2 steps behind the ball all evening. Part of it was the scotch buzz, to be sure, but I've exceeded my social quota for the year just this weekend, so I was a bit overwhelmed.

Now, the house is quiet. Zippo and his wife Stomps With Foot have crashed, and I'm having a last Tecate while blogging this as a wind-down activity. I think we're gonna try and do breakfast at Cafe Brazil in the morning. I surely do miss that Brazilian Scrambler sandwich with the rosemary potato hashbrowns! Add a little of the nuclear-green El Yucateco habanero sauce, and you're off to the races!

Shooting range session tomorrow! Gonna teach a liberal how to shoot a handgun! I can't wait!!! I hope he enjoys it, 'cause then it'll fall into the "If it feels good, DO IT" liberal mantra, and he'll have to start collecting firearms! Buwahahahahaaa!