Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Thursday, March 17, 2005

Some Decent Job News!

Here I go, job blogging again...

Well, I finally convinced the Powers-That-Be that I needed a bigger office when we get relocated to another floor. On the new floor I was assigned a 10x10 office (down from a 10x15 on the current floor) with big glass windows across the interior wall, making the office more like a fishbowl. That wasn't too conducive to productivity, IMHO. It also backed up onto Louisiana Street, so I would have had my ears assaulted the eternal traffic snarl outside.

It was either that one, or a 10x12 with a huge support beam running down one side, effectively making it an 8 x 12. With a 6' desk, that's a tight squeeze. However, an attempted land grab by another division manager backfired on her, and the Grand Poobah In Charge noticed the overzealous carpetbagger had exceeded her group's allotted area by a factor of 3. This led to a review of the department's square footage by comparing assigned offices and the allowable office square footage by the employee's pay grade.

Now, normally, I scoff at this sort of button sorting and hair-splitting, since it's endemic to the type of administrator that can barely manage to keep themselves breathing, much less manage a department. However, it's working out in my favor, so I'm just going to keep my mouth shut and roll with it. Apparently, since I accept walk-in business, and the carpetbagger's staff does not, it means I rate an office near the reception area. Since the carpetbagger has placed her flunkies in that area, we went down the list, booting out anyone below me in terms of pay grade, and let me have the pick of the litter.

So, instead of a noisy 10x10 fishbowl, I get a 12x15 on the back side of the building with a floor-to-ceiling window facing north. Sweet! It's got no windows facing the interior, and it's far from my boss and the chattering cube dwellers. I've always said that a door you can shut is worth at least 10k in salary. Now, I don't really believe it, 'cause I'd move into a cubicle for an extra 10k/year in a heartbeat, but I say it anyway!

So, since I have all this extra room, I feel honor-bound to help out with the ANWR situation. Since the liberals and Greens seem to think that oil drilling will completely destroy the entire earth's surface north of the Arctic Circle, I shall accept housing applications from a minimum of two caribou, 3 ptarmigan and no more than 4 seals. With community block grants and food stamp assistance, I think we can swing this.

No Polar Bears Need Apply!!