Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Lessons I'll Never Learn

I don't get home last night until really late. I had to go sit in on a civic association meeting to relate some business-related info, and naturally ended up being placed low on the agenda. Therefore a quick in & out info-dump turned into listening to a 90 minute squabbling session that I had to wait through. For those of you involved in your local neighborhood associations, I can assure you that the issues that are vitally important to you bore the everlasting shit out of me. Nothing personal, my local civic issues are of no account to you either. However, I know enough about running meetings to let guests speak their piece and then depart.

OK, I'm rambling about the job again... Sorry.

I go grab a bite at IHOP, the first time I've eaten there in ages. I just had a sudden urge for an omelette & pancakes. I get home, chat a bit with Kosher Red via iChat, then settle down for an evening of blogging. Nothing grabs my attention, so I say to myself "Just go lie down, read the latest Newsweek, and something will come up."

Yeah, the sun will come up, that's what'll happen. I wake up at 5:30 am, still dressed, with Betsy Cat frantically pawing me and chirruping in my face because I've left the bedroom door closed, and it's between her and the litterbox. To her credit there's no pile of cat poop that I can see. So, extra treats tonight!

I keep thinking I'll remember to stay vertical until I get everything done that needs to be done. Every so often, though, I break the rule, and wake up hours later. Most times that happens, it's no big deal. Just a bit of a hassle the next day, 'cause I didn't get a load of laundry done, or failed to answer some emails. It has cost me, though. I slept through not one but two final exams my first year in college. Those weren't the direct cause of my forced entry into the School of Hard Knocks, but they certainly contributed.

I quickly learned that if I had something important to do, I needed to stay far away from beds, couches and comfy chairs. In my second attempt at getting through college, I did most of my studying standing by my car under the carport, with all my books scattered over the car's roof. (It never ran that much, anyway)

Perversely, the times I desperately need to get to sleep, I spend tossing & turning until the wee hours of the morning. Go figure.

Oh, well. I'll just need to blog twice as much today!