Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Getting Ready For Texas Blogfest 2005!

It's T minus 68 hours to when I plan to point the PimpSled north and head up to Dallas to take part in the Texas Blogfest 2005. I'm looking forward to meeting lots of bloggers and ingesting unsafe quantities of alcohol and cigar smoke for two days straight. Good thing I'm stopping by my physician's office for a checkup Friday morning and not after I return! I already see my cholesterol count tripling after this hoo-rah.

We'll sober up long enough to head to the shooting range on Saturday. Zippo wants to 'bust some caps' with my .45, and I'll drag along a couple of other pistolas as well. I have to go over to Little Bee Boy's shack and borrow his S&W .22 popgun tonight or tomorrow. It makes a good instructional tool for the inexperienced shooters, much more so than the hand-cannons I usually tote around.

I'm going to slide over to far west Fort Worth as soon as I reach the Metroplex, and before I head over to Casa de Zippo. I was scheduled to pick up some shootin' irons from Rockhauler last time I was in D/FW, but scheduling mishaps forced a delay. I'm not sure what he's got on the bill of lading, but I know for certain there's a Mauser 98k with my name on it, and he also mentioned something about an FN49 chambered in 7mm Mauser. If we end up going to the Collin County Gun range, I'll have to procure some ammo for that beast. I don't want to be uncorking that smokepole indoors if we go to the DFW Gun Range in Dallas.

I'll probably toss the SKS into the trunk, just to have it along. I haven't had a chance to sight in the red dot sight I mounted on it. Again, that one's better suited for outdoor sessions.

Both ranges are running $15-17 a head for non-member entry fees. It's not so bad at DFW Range, they've got a nice indoor facility. It irks to pay that much to shoot outdoors, though. I haven't heard yet which range is getting the nod for our blogger invasion. DFW is closer, but only has 14 shooting lanes. CC is all the way in McKinney, but has a lot more room. We shall see.


UPDATE: It looks like we might be going shooting on Sunday after breakfast. All good with me. That way I get to smell like burnt gunpowder the whole trip home. There are worse fates!