Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Friday, March 25, 2005

Oh, How The Bloggers Squabble

What Rhymes With 'Squabble' Other Than "Gobble My Knobble"?


Well, the Schiavo drama has certainly gotten people's dander up. I noticed on Rob's blog that Spats had gotten PO'ed and de-linked him for this article.

In the usual Acidman manner, Rob expressed his opinions on the delinking, and Spats followed up. Judging from the comments left on both blogs, I'd say that Rob is ahead on points, but the vociferous attitude and firm stance of Lord Spatula has gained him some admirers.

I hate to see this kind of disagreement erupt into public poo-flinging. I've never met Rob face to face, but I've swapped a few emails with him, chatted with someone who has met him, and I read his blog daily. Seems like a nice enough guy, but he's got his opinions that will differ from mine.

Spats, on the other hand, I have met. Just this past weekend, in fact. He IS a nice enough guy! Cooks a mean pot of stew, and has more computers laying around than I do. His style of blogging is way different than mine, and he's definitely in the hard-core "Choose Life" corner of the Schiavo debate.

Now, Spats can take this however he likes, (he'd have to link me before he can de-link me!) but you tend to attract more flies with honey than with bile spews. Threatening to fight it out with a broken-down cancer survivor over the degrees of difference in your political beliefs is something more at home on a schoolyard, not a disagreement between adults, and it does your intellect a disservice. Still, it's your opinion and your blog. I just had to say it.

I have my own opinion on the Schiavo case, though I have been hesitant to say what so many others have already said. Bottom line, due to a pretty big pile of reasonable doubt, I think that she needs to stay eating, drinking & breathing, though I also think I would almost rather see a group of volunteers bum-rush the joint and pull her out to a secret location than to see the politicians try to weasel around the law of the land to find (or manufacture) a loophole.

This case has been in and out of the courts for years, and if the parents (who with the assistance of charities have outspent the husband, btw) cannot prove their case, it may be that the judge is not the Ultimate Evil Butthead. They may have needed to go the other direction and have the legislature pass laws to prevent this kind of event.

Gandhi, Martin Luther King and their followers marched into the face of guns, dogs, clubs and firehoses to see their beliefs realized. If the Right To Life side truly feels they're in the right, why have they not arrived en masse, and gotten arrested by the thousands to achieve their goal? To quote a guy on talk radio this morning, "sooner or later the cops will run out of handcuffs". Yeah, pepper spray in the eyes sucks, but if the life and death of Terri Schiavo is so crucial to the future of American jurisprudence, it's past time for the zealots to get zealous. I guarantee, 20,000 people marching arms locked on the hospice will sway a lot of political opinion. No way J or G Bush calls out the Natl. Guard troops on that kind of protest.

However this ends up, it's going to require a lot of constructive talk between all the people with their wide opinion ranges. We can't beat up everyone that disagrees with us, or calls us names.

Just my $0.02, anyway.