Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Lady, Start My Engines!

Gratuitous Ogling Alert!

Well, I found the driver I'm gonna root for this weekend.

Watching the Indy 500 is an annual event for me. I never miss it. Don't call, don't drop by, don't even send me a letter on Race Day, 'cause I'll ignore you or slap duct tape on your mouth and tie you to a chair until the 200 laps are over. I'm not much of a sports fan, but this is one I love.

Part of it is the traditions and long history of the race (which is also why I like the Kentucky Derby), and part of it is watching grown men drive methanol-powered go-karts at 220 mph in a circle for 3 hours. You can't really explain it, you just gotta watch it!

Now usually, I pick someone to be against. Kind of like betting on the 'Don't Pass' in craps, really. Allowed, but generally frowned upon. Back in the days when that arrogant bastard Emerson Fittipaldi was winning the 500 with depressing regularity, I used to send mental death waves to his wheel linkages in hopes he'd pancake into the wall. Alas, that never happened.

Other years, it's usually the pole-sitter that earned my wrath, but often it was the doofus rookies that can't seem to let a year go by without making a mistake that leads to a 10 car pileup and a race delay.

This year, though, I've got a driver to get behind. Hopefully VERY close behind!
Danica Patrick is not the first female driver at Indy, but she's definitely the most... photogenic!


Mmmmmmm... Hot Wimmen and Fast Cars! Damn, spent too much time staring at the picture. If you'll excuse me, I need to go sentence a few kittens to death.