Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Friday, August 12, 2005

Dallas BBQ

It's A Treat To Eat The Meat!

Andy left me a comment wondering about good BBQ up in Dallas. I think he's in the wrong county for really good BBQ, but there are a couple of good spots that I like.

The old-school favorite is the original Sonny Bryan's on Inwood. Get your food to go, and eat it outside on the hood of your car. It's usually standing room only indoors! Avoid the satellite locations if possible.

I personally like Red Hot & Blue on Central Distressway, but I also like Memphis-style BBQ. Quite a few Texans don't share my liking of pulled pig. If you can, see if you can talk them into making their old recipe of BBQ pork nachos if they're still off the menu. Damned tasty stuff!

A lot of people really like Baker's Ribs, though I am not one of them. It's OK barbecue, but I never found it worth the drive.

If you get back across the Tarrant County line, head to Bodacious BBQ in Arlington on Division. Best BBQ beans I've ever had, and the meat's not bad, either!

Then, get thee hence to Angelo's Barbeque in Ft. Worth. It is the epicenter of all quality BBQ'ed ribs in the universe. You might be tempted by Riscky's and Railhead BBQ, but stand firm, and get the real stuff!

Oh, yeah, stay the heck away from Dickey's, Spring Creek and Colter's. Those places will suck your soul out through your tailpipe.