Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

The Butler Did It

There, I Saved You The Effort

Just finished the 'Da Vinci Code' by Dan Brown, and I really must be about the last person on earth to slurp down that frothy literary concoction.

I'm not overwhelmed by it. For every tidbit of interest, there's eight paragraphs of exposition, and also much abrupt changing of the main POV that makes it feel a bit like a ride on a Tilt-A-Whirl. The characters are somewhat akin to cigar store Indians that are moved from place to place by unseen hands, and the "great revelation" that's got the Catholics in such a tizzy should come as no surprise to anyone who's done any peeking into the Apocrypha.

I understand that there's a movie being released this summer to bring this bestseller to the silver screen. Normally, I like for the screenplay to at least make the effort to follow the plot line, but in this case, I'll be praying for the addition of legions of Vatican Ninjas and Pyrates Templar warring across Europe just to provide enough impetus to stay awake until I finish my small bag of popcorn.

As usual, your mileage may vary.