Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Monday, January 08, 2007

Hosed On eBay

Go On, Take The Money & Run!

Got my second hose-job on eBay. Out of 140+ transactions over 7 years, I guess that's not too bad. First one was way back in '99, a used Global Village 28.8 modem that was DOA out of the box. Seller claimed it worked, and UPS must've dropped it. Yeah, sure, buddy.

This go-round, I was looking for a specific DVD for my friend Rockhauler. Finally found it, and could get it from this vendor just in the nick of time for Xmas. The seller had a 98%+ positive feedback rating, and sales in the thousands. A real ebay "Power Seller"! Yeah, there were 40 or so negative feedbacks in the seller's past, but with 37,000 separate transactions, you gotta figure the ball will drop from time to time.

So, I pays my money, and I sits down to wait.

And I wait.

And I wait.

Finally send the guy an email after Xmas. No reply.

OK, I wait some more. Xmas is a busy time, after all.

Then, I go to leave him another message. Ooops. This time, I learn "This member is no longer a registered eBay user.".

Well, dammit. I took a peek at his feedback. My, how a couple of weeks changes things! Check this out:




Six Hundred negative feedbacks left in the last 30 days. Looks like "Musicdogpd" shafted a whole bunch of us in December. Figure an average of $18 apiece for CDs and DVDs, and he got a year-end bonus of somewhere close to ten grand.

Ah, well. I'm only out $17.58. Could have been a lot worse. Plus, El Mom de Capitan stumbles across the DVD while she was out bopping around town, and sent it to me (along with a UOMe note...), so Rockhauler gets his Xmas present after all!