Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Monday, January 01, 2007

Running Out Of Vacation

I Need More Beer. And More Time.

Hmmph. 4 pm on New Years Day. Gotta go back to work tomorrow, even though the Feddies and the Staties get the day off.

I haven't done shit today. Didn't do shit the last two days, either. Didn't go to Jenni's big bash up in Dallas. Didn't even watch the ball drop in Times Square on TV. Just went out around 10:45 pm last night to gas up the truck and get a six pack of Tecate. Drove around for about two beer's worth of time, then came home, pulled some 6 year old fireworks out of the back of the closet, and had another beer while I launched my remaining bottle rockets over the neighbor's house towards the barrio apartments across the fence. Hey, it was a fair trade. They were launching 9mm rounds into the air. I'd know that *rapraprapraprap* sound anywhere.

Went 1 for 2 with the Roman candles. Even the one that lit didn't have a lot of spark to it. I didn't dare touch some of those big-ass red firecrackers. The fuses on the bottlerockets were bad enough. Incidentally, the stake/tie down pockets at the corner of your pickup bed make a pretty good launcher for rockets. Assuming you've got a bed liner and/or a crappy paint job to soak up the rocket exhaust.

The "whistling chasers" seemed to work OK, as did the spinning flower thingies. I missed having a few mortars and really big rockets.

I s'pose I oughta go put on the pot of black-eyed peas, and get the cornbread in the oven. I dunno that they bring me any luck. More likely they just keep the bad luck from overwhelming me completely. Besides, I don't dare eat more than a spoonful or two. Two bowls of those navy beans yesterday have rendered me unfit for polite company.

Happy New Year to you all, and muchas gracias to all that sent Xmas cards this year.