Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Five Favorite Toys

For Propriety's Sake, No Body Parts Are Included...

Following the lead of GuyK and Morning Glory, here's a quick look at 5 favorite toys I had as a kid.

The pics I pulled off of eBay, since I have no clue where any of these toys are now. I suspect they're in a big box buried in the garage, or have been sold off/given away years ago.

1) Fisher Price Little People Castle - The key to this one's longevity and attraction was that once you grew out of the Little People play stage, the castle was still a great playset for toy soldiers, action figures, and the occasional captive rodent.



2) Guns Of Navarone playset - Mom made a last minute dash up to the toy store Xmas 1977 to exchange the Star Wars Millenium Falcon playset for this one, solely because I'd last seen Star Wars that summer, and I'd seen the Guns Of Navarone movie on TV that winter, and it had a higher 'cool' factor. As did Mom. Like the castle, this one was used by a variety of other action figures.



3) LEGOS - I had bucketfuls. Built whatever my brain dreamed up for hours and hours. Still have a few of 'em hanging around here & there.



4) Star Wars Action Figures - From 1977 to the early 80's, not an afternoon went by without playin' some Star Wars. The release of Empire in 1980 restoked the fanboy fires, and I bought a few more action figures, but by ROTJ in '83, I'd moved on to chasing the wimmens, and all the figures got dumped in a box, where they remain today. Oh, except for R2D2. He's still on my desktop bookshelf.



5) Huffy Thunder Road bicycle - I looked for a picture of this one all over the Intarwebs, but came up short. Probably 'cause all of them have been destroyed through overuse and abuse. It had neither the appeal of the Schwinn Scrambler, or the sexiness of the Mongoose BMX, and in fact, was kinda lame in comparison. Still, I put more miles on that bike between 1976 and 1982 than most cars I've owned.


Honorable Mention - Hot Wheels & Matchbox cars, plastic model kits, Planet of the Apes toys