Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Cat Experiments

Some Fun Feline Frolics

So, ya know how when a cat curls up to sleep, their bellies pooch out up past their legs and make a little belly pillow? Bellow? Billow??

Well, if you take your index finger and gently poke it in the middle of the pooched out bit, while chanting "Poke-a...Poke-a...Poke-a...Poke-a...", and you try to set up a series of belly ripples (unfortunately not a self-sustaining oscillation sequence due to the dampening effects of the fur)...

Just for the record, the cat really objects to the whole procedure. Both of 'em did, and I tested my hypothesis twice each.

I dunno how this extrapolates to the feline population as a whole. I mean, my sample size was kind of small, but 2(n) = 100% of the test subjects available. I tried to sneak up on the tabby next door, and Stump-Tailed Bob across the street, but being outdoor cats, they're amazingly light sleepers.

Next week: We attempt to tie buttered toast to a cat's back for antigravity experiments.