Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Rebranding With The Man

Fun & Games In The Big City

Well, the move has happened. Sort of...

My little section got moved out of The Man's office and relocated in Human Resources. Physically, we haven't gone anywhere, 'cause there's no room at the inn, and no funding to pay for a build-out.

In all other respects, we're now full-fledged members of HR. I've gone to 5 meetings in the past 6 days, and that trend will probably continue. These people hold meetings just to plan future meetings, it seems. I'm going to have to pull everyone's salary, figure out the hourly pay for all participants, and let everyone know just how many dollars are going out the window while people brainstorm around a conference table. The free donuts no longer sway my allegiance these days, since I can't eat 'em.

I blame it on my time out in the corporate world. If you weren't able to justify the cost of pulling so many people off the floor for that many hours a week, you just didn't hold a meeting.

The Grand High Muckity-Muck assures us that she's not a micro-manager, yet already has started to dictate what is and isn't important among the duties we've been doing for the past 6 years. Having learned that she's already been slapped down for not following The Man's policies & procedures, that is probably going to come back & bite her on the ass. I bitch and gripe constantly about the demands from certain factions of The Man's adoring public, but they'll be quick to shriek & holler when I tell them that according to the G.H. Muckity-Muck "it's more important for you to serve internal customers than to interact with the public."

Yeah, that'll go over well...

Besides, it gets me out of the office from time to time. Never let it be said that I don't pander to my own baser instincts!

I've been assigned to oversee some of the departmental re-organizations. See, we can't call them layoffs, even though as a side effect of the re-org is that dozens of people will get their walking papers. If you call it a re-org, though, you get to avoid the bad press. Mostly.

This might not be completely fun, but it sure as heck won't be boring.