Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Wednesday, March 05, 2014

Death From Above

Houston's Winter Follies

Winter threw us (hopefully) the last curveball of the season yesterday morning, a nice blast of freezing rain in the wee hours of the morning.

Against my better judgement, I crawled into the truck for the morning commute, and marveled at the thin layer of ice that coated all the trees and wires in the neighborhood.

That marvel quickly evaporated as they started falling...

Seriously, it was worse than a case of drop bears.  While waiting for a car to pass by at the stop sign at the end of the block, I hear this CCRREEEEEAAAAAKKKKK SNAPBOOMM!!, and about twenty yards behind me a frozen-over pine bough hits the pavement.

I see this happen twice more within a couple of blocks, and there's fallen limbs all over the subdivision.

So, ice on the roads & bridges?  No problem.  Ice in the trees?  HUGE problem!