Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Monday, November 21, 2005

Lopsided Range Report

Tomorrow's Gonna Be A Stone Cold Bitch...

Took the day off today to decompress after my jaunt up to Dallas. More on that tomorrow.

Right now, I'm sitting here trying to type mostly one-handed, 'cause my right side's not quite up to the task. See, I went with my buddy Zibig to the shootin' range this afternoon, and my right shoulder is now mostly pureéd.

Remember that shotgun I just bought? Well, no time like the present to run it through the wringer and see how it handles. After doing a bit of target practice with the .357 Blackhawk & the .22 pistol, it was off to the shotgun area.



One hopes they allow snails and abalone.

It's been a while since I've done any shotgun shooting. We're talking years, mind you. Even then, it was using light skeet loads. I haven't shot anything heavier than #7 shot in longer than I can remember.

Heh. It all comes rushing back... straight into your shoulder bone! I launched a box of 00 Buck downrange, followed by most of a box of heavy game loads. Out of that 6 lb. shotgun, the recoil is fargin' BRUTAL!

Let me state for the record that it's quite probable that the next time I voluntarily shoot full-power buckshot loads outta that gun, giant mutant orangutans with radioactive hoo-hahs will be in the process of breaking into the house to administer Death By Boon-Dah!* upon the occupants. Otherwise, forget it.

The game loads weren't as bad, but it still bucks a mite. The bruise on my shoulder tomorrow will probably have 82 shades of red, purple and blue.

I will say this... once your shoulder numbs a bit, it's a hell of a rush!




*If you haven't heard the Death By Boon-Dah! joke, ask around. It's pretty ancient. Not quite as ancient as "Rectum? Damn near killed him!" but pretty ancient nonetheless.