Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

More Holiday Goodies

A Moment On The Lips, A Lifetime On Your Hips!

For my final offering of pre-Thanksgiving recipes, I'll turn to one of my family's pre-meal treats.

Most years, we gather at my great-aunt's home in Sugarland, TX for the Thanksgiving meal. While we're waiting for my Dad to quit poking at the turkey and carve it, and while last minute items like the gravy and dinner rolls are getting cooked, most of the rest of the family is swilling cheap champagne and nibbling on a few appetizers.

Usually, the pre-meal treats consist of fruit or veggie trays, or something savory like sausage balls or cheese straws. Every so often, though, someone remembers how to bake, and we get homemade breads served sliced with preserves or jams.

Here's one of my favorites, another of my grandmother Gigi's specialties. I just may have to make some myself this year!

This one's easy, y'all! Even I can't screw this one up!

Strawberry Bread

You'll need:

1 1/2 cups corn oil
2 cups sugar
3 cups flour
3 eggs
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups strawberries, crushed (frozen is OK)
1/2 cup pecans

In a mixer, cream the oil & sugar together. Add the eggs, and mix well. Sift the dry ingredients together and slowly stir in the oil/sugar/egg mixture. On a low speed setting, add in the strawberries and nuts.

Pour into 2 greased loaf pans and bake at 350 F for 1 hour.

Let cool, slice, enjoy!

To be extra-decadent, spread this with some strawberry butter. Thaw a frozen carton of strawberries, then put in a food processor along with 1/2 cup of powdered sugar (sifted, not packed!) and 2 sticks of room temperature butter, then whip till smooth. Serve with warm sliced strawberry bread. There will NOT be any leftovers!