Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Five Toys I Never Had

And I Would Have Traded My Little Sister For 'Em...

Following yesterday's "5 favorite toys I had as a kid" post are the top 5 toys I wanted, but never got. Don't worry, I wasn't a deprived child or anything like that. There were just certain items I absolutely *had* to have, and I never got 'em for one reason or another. I'm not the only one in this fix, and that's why eBay is so successful! Selling childhood dreams to people who can finally afford them!


1) Mousetrap Game - Don't know why I never got this one. I had plenty of other board games... I ended up pissing off a friend of mine by asking to play it every time I went to his house... Still don't own one today.




2) Atari 2600 - Dad bought a generic Pong machine about 3 years before the Atari came out, and from his POV, we already had a game that hooked up to the TV, so why buy another? He wouldn't even budge on Intellivision or ColecoVision... To this day I've never owned a console game system, and haven't really missed anything.



3) Stormtrooper Blaster Rifle - It's probably for the best that I didn't get this one... I got the Han Solo blaster pistol instead, and that led to years of playing on the rebel side and not for the Imperial forces. Almost without fail, the kids I knew that grew up lusting after the Empire and Darth Vader have become authoritarian closet-Nazi pricks.
I don't own one now, I can buy real blasters!




4) Space:1999 Eagle spaceship - Remember the episode where the missing spaceship turned out to be full of disguised tentacle monsters? That still gives me nightmares 30 year later...
I don't own one, grew up and realized what utter crap Space:1999 really was.




5) Big Wheel - I'm mentally scarred to this day due to being deprived of a Big Wheel... It's left a burning need for a three-wheeled thrill ride!



Guess I'll need to get one of these instead...