Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Monday, February 12, 2007

Valentine's Day Approacheth...

Mausers & Martini-Henrys Are Romantic Gifts, Right???

It's that time of year when thoughts turn to romance...

Now, regular readers know that El Capitan rarely speaks of his amorous endeavors. Mostly, 'cause they're nunya business, but also because they're just rare. Thin on the ground. Almost non-existent. OK, enough of that, I'm getting depressed...

Still, in spite of his hermit-like existence and curmudgeonly demeanor, let no one doubt that the fires of passion still flicker deep within the stony exterior.

Every so often, something fans those flames, and this time, it's not just a fan, but a gallon of Avgas followed by a jet turbine exhaust to stir things up...

Methinks I am smitten with unrequited love...

See, there's this woman who really digs guns. Not only likes 'em, but collects them. And her collection centers on pre-WWII bolties (of which I have a closetful) and .45 autos. And she works in a gun store. And she's into IPA, motorsickles and reading SF. I mean, what's not to like??

Well, a post this weekend was the deal-maker. Turns out that in addition to all her rare qualities, we share one important ideal:

Tam says, and I quote:

"What would be the only thing cooler than getting married by a drive-thru Elvis?"

My friends, I've been extolling the virtues of an Elvis-led drive-thru wedding for almost 20 years, and my posse will back me up on that...

Ah, be still, my beating heart! Tam, mi corazon! Dump your boyfriend and join me on a whirlwind tour of the nation's gun shops, pawn shops and cluttered curio stores, in search of 1st edition Heinleins and pristine Springfields! We'll fill the pickup bed with treasures, then dash off to Vegas to make it legal!

Ah, well. A guy can dream, can't he??