Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Monday, February 26, 2007

Silk Purses and Sow's Ears

Bargain Basement Boomsticks

This is a Harrington & Richardson Handi-Rifle. The NEF (New England Firearms) model is pretty much identical. They're all owned by Marlin Firearms.


It's based on H&R's single-shot break-action shotguns, made since the late 1800's. These are low-budget, no-frills firearms. You can get a brand-new shotgun version for less than $125, the rifle goes for maybe double that. You can also find them used at most pawn shops and gun shows for around a C-note or less.

The low-rent Tactical Tommy group sometimes goes a bit overboard dressing these things up.



Seems silly to spend $250 for gewgaws on a $150 rifle when you can get a lever-action repeater for $400, but that's me, Mr. Practical.

I've never had much use for one of H&R's firearms. If I was inclined to get a single-shot rifle, I'd be more inclined to look at a Winchester Hi-Wall, or a Ruger #1. Possibly a Martini-Henry or a Sharps if I was feeling nostalgic!

Then, I saw this version of the Handi-Rifle on the Collector's Firearms site:




At first, I was pretty dismissive. It's just putting lipstick on a pig, I thought. Still a single-shot break-open H&R.

On the other hand... it IS chambered for .45-70 caliber... And that's a recipe for a whole lot of amusement!

Let's face it, shooting is FUN! Even if you've got the scruffiest junkyard dog of a rifle, which was kicked off the wholesaler's stack o' beaters before being scraped across the concrete floor to the Shipping Dept., as long as it's reasonably accurate, you're gonna have fun shooting it. Well, I do, anyway! Plus, sending gigantimous thumb-sized chunks of lead downrange is a hoot no matter what you're using for a launcher.

.45-70's not hard to reload, either. Buffalo hunters used to do it sitting aroung a campfire. It's a relatively low-pressure straight-walled case. Hell, you could do original black powder loads and use a pair of pliers to give it a crimp. (Just kidding...)

So the more I thought about it, the more I like this boomstick from H&R. If they'd eliminate the checkering on the stock, and use a plain forearm instead of the Schnabel, they could probably cut the price by a third. I'd be all over that boomer if I could get it for $300.

Ever since I saw this rifle, I've had persistent visions of pumpkins and assorted squashables exploding out past 300 yards. Also, I'm hearing 250 grains of hardened lead impacting huge steel gongs from even farther out.

So, whaddya think? Silly thoughts on my part, or does H&R maybe have a good idea goin' on here?