Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Kneedless Misery

I Want Bionic Legs...

It seems to be a race to see what happens first, my weight comes off, or my right knee implodes. Right now, the money line is 5-2 on the blowout, with the trifecta being the knee goes, and takes out an arm and a jaw when I come tumbling down.

I didn't do my knees any favors in my youth, but I wasn't terribly abusive, either. No long stretches of deadlifting or playing catcher on the baseball team. About 2 years ago, I went from having the occasional "Snap Crackle Pop" when squatting, to getting some serious pain twinges in my right knee.

The pain would come and go. No noticeable correlation to exercise (as if that ever happened...) or weather changes. Sort of a two weeks on, 4 weeks off deal. Mostly, it's just stiff & sore if I keep the knee in one position for any length of time. Once I get up and start walking, I do OK, up to a point.

Last summer, it got really bad. Like, go buy a cane 'cause you're hobbling everywhere bad. Dad kept talking about the glucosamine/chondroitin tablets doing wonders for his knees, but the price for a bottle was just short of outrageous.

I finally broke down and bought a couple of bottles, and for a while I thought it was helping. This week, though, it's back to its old tricks.

This lovely lady went and got herself a shiny new knee, but I'm hoping I'm not at that point yet. Then again, my legs would probably be improved with a big scar down the center.

We shall see...