Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Saturday, August 06, 2005

How To Comb A Pussy

CAT! That's How To Comb A Pussy CAT!!! Got your attention, though!

I am so relieved! I thought I was going to have to shave my cats.

It turned out that shaving Betsy Cat's back and butt was unnecessary, which saves me a good deal of time and money. Both Betsy Cat and Pookie Cat started to have the fur on their backs start to clump up, kinda like little kitty dreadlocks. Pookie only had one or two that weren't too bad, given her short straight fur, but Betsy had that Bob Marley groove starting to happen. Little clumps of fur knotted up all down her back and on either side of her tail, with one big one on her chest.

I dunno what brought this on. It was just as hot and humid last summer, and they were fine then. I try to brush them out daily, but if they choose to hide under the bed instead, I'm not gonna force the issue.

I've been using a plastic rake comb, followed by a bristle brush, but it just wasn't making a dent in the knots. The one time I tried to use scissors, I couldn't get the angle right, and I was afraid I'd end up cutting out a postage stamp-sized piece of skin, the way Betsy was wriggling.

Finally, I dug through the old box of pet supplies, and came up with one of those old currycomb looking brushes with the tiny curved metal teeth. Pookie seemed OK with it, but Betsy did not go gently into that good combing.

It took a while, but I finally got her combed out. Those metal teeth stripped the knots right out, and she didn't yowl too much in the process. No more than usual, anyway. I've now got a wad of spare fur big enough to knit a hat out of.

I'm gonna do the once-over with this brush at least weekly from here on out. As cool as having a rasta cat might be, I don't need 'em smokin' the catnip and hiding all my reggae CDs.