Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Looking For Amusement In D/FW

No Hippies, Vegans Or Penguins Need Apply!

I've got a couple of days to kill in D/FW, and I could use some help figuring out how to pass the time. I'm gonna meet the Connecticut Yankee on the 29th in Arlington, then Jenni's invited me to a ritzy New Year's bash over in Carrollton on the evening of the 31st. That leaves a sizable window that needs filling.

I'll be staying in Arlington this time around. I found a nice cheap fleabag motel over by Six Flags, and that oughta do for a place to crash for three nights. One of these days my D/FW friends will move in from the sticks and all settle in Irving or Grand Prairie. To get from Rockhauler's place in far NW Tarrant County to Andy's house over in far NE Dallas County requires at least 52 hours of driving, it seems.

I may end up parking myself at a Cineplex and catching up on all the movies that have been released lately. Either that or sneak onto the UTA campus and dump 5 gallons of dish soap in the fountain, just for old time's sake.

I don't particularly want to haul a bunch of shootin' irons up to Dallas to go shooting while I'm there, though it would be fun to load up some .45 Long Colt ammo up to magnum levels, and show Connecticut Yankee what a "cheerio of fire" really looks like!. I don't think he'll have his .357 popper with him, though, since he's flying down from the Frozen Wasteland. I have a sneaking suspicion that the double shotgun makes quite a spew of flame when fired after dark, too!

I suppose I could always go to the gun range and pick up a dozen or so really tarnished 6.5 mm Carcano rifle cartridge casings and then head over to Dealey Plaza and stomp them into the dirt in various spots on the Grassy Knoll. That's always good for a giggle, especially on days when the Dealey Lama is preaching and there's plenty of conspiracy nutcases poking about. I just know there's a bunch of people who've found shell casings I've buried and have them squirreled away in a safe deposit box, absolutely sure they've got the missing proof of a 2nd JFK shooter.

The holidays are just too hectic to try and schedule a large get-together, but if you're free that Friday night or Saturday noon-ish, drop me a line and maybe we can get a few folks together at a place where they sell slices of dead cow and flagons of brewed barley.