Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

DRM Blogs? WTF??

Are You Folks Just Paranoid Or What???

Ask just about any blogger if they're in favor of digital rights management of movies, music, etc., and I'll bet you get little or no support. People tend to like to be able to move their .mp3's, ebooks and movies from one computer to another without being hobbled by crypto or unnecessary restrictions.

So, why is it that so many bloggers out there have DRM'ed blogs? I can't count the times I've tried to excerpt something off of a blog, and have the browser be unable to select text. It either refuses to copy anything at all, and gives me the little circle with a slash through it or it'll select the entire page, forcing me to winnow through your blogroll and all your visible posts just to get the quote I'm looking for.

Not only is it annoying, it's kinda pointless. I can just do a 'View Source', and your whole page is there for the taking, so it's not like it protects anything. Often, just going to the Permalink page will open it up as well.

C'mon, people. Give me an explanation, please! Is this just a bug in Typepad, Moveable Type and/or Wordpress, or is a lame attempt to keep people from sampling?