Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Friday, August 04, 2006

Extracting An Earworm

Next Time, I Use Some Raid-Soaked Boric Acid

Bad week for the music. Kind of a mix of a Quixotic quest followed by a fiery crash into a snow-covered pasture.

Lemme asplain...

I was watching a batch of 'That 70's Show' on DVD, and was really grooving on the music in one of the episodes. Damned if I hadn't heard that tune since... well, the 70's.

It was catchy song and brought back a rush of memories of sitting in the living room, dickin' with Dad's stereo after school. I was a precocious little twerp in the 70's, and glommed onto that decade's music with a vengeance. I might've been permanently damaged by the overdose of easy-listening and disco, but fortunately I had a friend who was way into Boston, Led Zep, AC/DC and Kiss. Saved me from a horrible fate.

I had to 'rewind' the DVD to catch the lyrics of the tune. Punched 'em into Google, and it spat out Neil Sedaka's "Bad Blood". Huh. Thought he was one of those '60s crooners. Go figure.

iTunes didn't have that song available, and a search of the usual pirate locations came up dry as well. Obviously a limited market for Mr. Sedaka's work. I sent out a few feelers amongst the musically diverse, but had no luck there either.

Eventually I found it available at that Russian MP3 site. Dirt cheap music, and supposedly legal. No way I'm giving them my credit card number, though. It took a couple of days, but I finally remembered to go buy one of those credit card gift cards.

The company that sells the cards wouldn't guarantee it would work online if you didn't register the card. For that they wanted my SocSec # and a bunch of other stuff. Morons. What part of anonymity do you not understand? I finally decide to just use the thing, only to discover I'd bought the Master Card version, and the site only worked with VISA and AMEX. Dammit...

It turns out that the site credits you with 20 cents when you register. Two dimes. Woohoo! Big spenders. Fortunately, the song I wanted only cost 12 cents. The pricing structure is based on bandwidth, so you can buy most albums for less than $3.

I downloaded the tune, tossed it into my iTunes library, and commenced to wring out that earworm.

It took about 2 listens before I was done with it. Ye godz, that's a truly mediocre tune once you break it down. It's just so... so... 70's! You've got the Loggins & Messina dual lead vocals, the KC & The Sunshine Band song structure, the Elton John lyrics, the Shaun Cassidy doo-ron-rons, and even a bit of Marshall Tucker Band flutework thrown in for good measure.

Yeeks. Can't believe I bought this one. Even at 12 cents...
NEIL SEDAKA - "Bad Blood"

It coulda been me but it was you
Who went and bit off a little bit more than he could chew
You said that you had it made, but you been had
The woman no good, no how, thinkin' maybe the blood is bad

Bad (ba-a-ad) blood (blo-o-od)
The woman was born to lie
Makes promises she can't keep
With the wink of an eye

Bad (ba-a-ad) blood (blo-o-od)
Brother, you've been deceived
It's bound to change your mind
About all you believe

From where I stand, it looks mighty strange
How you let a woman like that treat you like small change
I don't understand what you're lookin' to find
The only thing bad blood do is mess up a good man's mind

Hear me talkin' now

Bad (ba-a-ad) blood (blo-o-od)
The bitch is in her smile
The lie is on her lips
Such an evil child

Bad (ba-a-ad) blood (blo-o-od)
Is takin' you for a ride
The only good thing about bad blood
Is lettin' it slide

Doo-ron, doo-ron, di di, dit, dit, doo ron-ron
Doo-ron, doo-ron, di di, dit, dit, doo ron-ron
Doo-ron, doo-ron, di di, dit, dit, doo ron-ron
Bad blood, talkin' 'bout bad blood

Doo-ron, doo-ron, di di, dit, dit, doo ron-ron
Doo-ron, doo-ron, di di, dit, dit, doo ron-ron
Doo-ron, doo-ron, di di, dit, dit, doo ron-ron
Bad blood

Here we go

Bad (ba-a-ad) blood (blo-o-od)
The bitch is in her smile
The lie is on her lips
Such an evil child

Bad (ba-a-ad) blood (blo-o-od)
Is takin' you for a ride
The only thing good about bad blood
Is lettin' it slide

The only good thing about bad blood
Is lettin' it slide