Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

New-Age Pseudo-Celtic Hippie Music

Oh, Go On And Watch It! You've Got Time!

I was futzing around on HBO or Skinemax or some other movie channel when I happened upon this movie called 'Jade'. I'd first seen it back in college a decade or so ago. It was supposed to be the Big Break for David Caruso, fresh off the 'NYPD Blue' set. He's back on a TV cop show, so obviously it didn't quite go as planned...

As a murder mystery movie, it kinda sucked. As a movie filled with "grisly afterviews of murder victims, violence, language and strong scenes of aberrant sexuality", it totally kicked ass. Besides, anytime you can get Angie Everhart & Linda Fiorentino in various states of nekkidness, that's a Good Thing.

While I didn't think much of the movie, I loved the song that played over the end credits. An unusual mix of Spanish, Arabic & Celtic influences, with a bit of Gregorian chant thrown in. I ended up having to go rent the damned videotape, and fast-forward to the credits to find out what it was.

Turned out to be a Canuckistanian singer named Loreena McKennitt, the song is called "The Mystic's Dream" off her album 'The Mask and Mirror'. You can listen to it here on YouTube, if you're so inclined.

I bought a couple of her albums, but it just never took. Her music is just a bit too... too... well, when I figure it out, I'll let you know. Maybe it's all that big red hair. If you crossed Helen Mirren with my friend Hatchet Slut from college, you'd come pretty close to how McKennitt looks.

Sigh. I just realized that makes no sense, since you have absolutely no idea what my friend Hatchet Slut looks like. Well, that's OK. Due to that mathematics commutative property, you can subtract Mirren from McKennit and get a Hatchet Slut as a remainder.

I have no idea where I'm going with this post anymore... Oh, yeah...

I was bombing around on YouTube, and ran across this McKennitt video. Normally, I'm of the opinion that live performances rarely measure up to the polished efforts of a recording studio. This video surprised me by being pretty damned good:



Heh. I'll never make it as a DJ. 8 paragraphs to do a song lead-in!