Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Friday, May 04, 2007

Pre-Trip Jitters

All My Bags Are Packed, They're Ready to Go...

Wow. 2 a.m. the night before I make a long-ass drive, and here I am posting to the damn blog. "Hi, I'm El Capitan, and I'm a blogging addict..."

I always get the jitters before a road trip. Doesn't matter if I've made the run a dozen times, I still work my colon into a knot wondering if I've brought enough crap. After all, having the proper amount of crap packed can mean the difference between overloading your vehicle, and REALLY overloading your vehicle.

Just so y'all know, I'm bringing clean skivvies, just in case I'm in an accident. Mom insisted on that for years, and now I'm incapable of leaving the house in torn or stained undies. I'm also incapable of leaving the house without a deck of cards, a bottle of booze, and at least one firearm, so If you want to know where the party is, just find my hotel room.

I'm also in possession of a full liter bottle of Monopolowa vodka, and a liter of Bombay Sapphire gin. These were discovered hiding in my traveling liquor suitcase, where they've been since the last Texas Blogfest. See, I'd planned on drinking Gin & tonics and Vodka Collinses, but that got-damned Cadillac fire threw things off track.

Jerry posted some tips about fitting in with the blog crowd on the Blodger site. He makes a good point. Just throw yourself into the mix, and damn the torpedos. Nobody's been stuffy or standoffish so far, except for this Tig guy at the last Texas Fest, and he ain't making this trip.

I'm gonna do my damndest to make sure you blogfest newbies don't get shut out of anything. I got my knickers in a twist last year when the Jawja crew tucked themselves into a corner booth in the hotel bar, pretty much shutting out the rest of the Texas crew. They didn't do it intentionally, I'm sure, but it grated nonetheless. I was brought up on Texas Hospitality, and believe me, if you're not having a good time, then *I'm* not having a good time! If you insist on telling cocaine-crazed chipmunk stories, though, you're on your got-damned own. I ain't going there again...

Damn, it's 12 hours until I need to be rolling into Kerrville, and it's easily a 5 hour drive. Best get some sleep. It's gonna be in short supply the rest of the weekend!

See y'all there!