Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Thursday, November 01, 2007

You Can Still Buy Tiddies!!!

Mah Feetses Can Has Beeg Comfee Tiddies!

Well, I'll be slobberknocked...

I was reminiscin' about my lost yoot, and one of the things I was regretting was not being able to put my feets back in some Tiddies.

OK, for you who are now wondering if I have some sort of fetish, Tiddies are a type of sandal, invented in Pasadena, TX back in the 70's. They were mucho popular back when I still looked good in a swimsuit.

On that note, you can still get Birdwell Beach Britches! They used to sell 'em in Beall's (remember those?) but they only carried up to size 38 or 40, so if you were a "husky" yoot, you were SOL. If you order from the factory, though, you can get 'em up to size LardAss & 1/2.

Anyway, they are still selling Tiddies! With a soft foam insole and rubber surgical tubing for straps, they were the cat's ass for beach cruising or pool lounging. I'd take 'em over a pair of Crocs anyday!

Man, with some nylon Birdwells on your ass, Tiddies on your feet, and a Seven Seas Surf Shop t-shirt, you were one stylin' mofo walking down the Galveston Island seawall in 1985! Seven Seas is long gone, but I'm at the stage in life where a roomy guayabera or a really loud & ugly Hi-woyan flowerdy shirt is a better choice!

Oh, one final mucho importante note...

Getting burned on that red light camera post convinced me to do a bit more research before hitting the "Publish" button. It seems that the above link to the Tiddies website might not be the best one for buying sandals.

Apparently there was much drama between the inventor of Tiddies and an ex-wife, and he now runs a separate company making what is essentially the same sandal under a different name. Here's his site, called Pirate Sandals.

For obvious reasons, I'm going to have to order the pirate sandals, especially if they offer a Baboon Pirates model. OTOH, I must buy a pair of real Tiddies as well, if for no other reason than to go wear them in from of my mother. She absolutely LOATHED the Tiddies logo, and forbid me to take them off my feet so the logo would show if "respectable folk" were anywhere in eyesight!



Heh... I might have to buy HER a pair!!!