Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Monday, March 05, 2007

The Great Houston Cat Scramble

Fur Flies For Fun & Festivities!

It's always a fun weekend when the cats are thoroughly traumatized.

Oh, I'm not lobbying for the casual torture of felines. As a matter of fact, I lavish so much affection and kittytreats on my duo of meow-beasts that I fear they are overly dependent on their sybaritic lifestyle, and need that occasional reminder that they descend from wild self-reliant cats. This weekend they got that reminder...

My sister and BIL came into town for Dad's 71st birthday, and brought their duo of dogs along. I had no idea the dogs were coming, so when I opened the door and the hounds rushed in, all I could think was "Gee, I hope the cats are ready for this..."

Sis & BIL have two dogs, Ellie the Wondermutt, and Ashley the Emergency Backup Dog. Ellie's a collie mix, and Ashley's a wee rat terrier with delusions of Doberman-hood.

I wish I had my camera ready for the scene in the hallway where the rat terrier and Pookie Cat came face to face.

Pookie Cat: "Jaysus, Mary & Joseph! WTF is that!"

Ashley the EBD: "pantpantpantpant... Hey, this thing's bigger than me! Better sniff its butt!"

Pookie Cat: (back arching and tail up straight) "Whoa there, nosy! You gots to buy me dinner before you do that!!"

Ashley the EBD: "This thing sure doesn't smell like a... waitaminnit! BARKBARKBARKBARK!!!"

Pookie Cat: "To hell with *that* noise!" (Turns inside out & upside down doing a 180, leaves clawmarks all down the hallway carpet as she makes a strategic retreat under my bed.)

Betsy Cat: "Hey, you calico-colored beeyotch! This is my hangout! GTF out!"

Pookie Cat: "Kiss my pink starfish, you shaggy hippy. I ain't leaving!!"

At this point I might remind the readers that Betsy Cat & Pookie Cat do not get along all that well, and would sooner be bathed daily than hang out together.

Betsy Cat: "Fine, I'll just crawl out from under here and go to the..."

Ashley the EBD: "BARKBARKBARKBARK!!! ELLIE!! GET IN HERE!! I GOT TWO OF 'EM!!"

Ellie the WM: "Grrr-OOOF!! Grrr-OOOF!! Grrr-OOOF!! Grrr-OOOF!!" (Ellie has a weird bark that starts off as a growl...)

Betsy Cat: "Oh, suckbunnies and filthy litterclumps!" (Beats a hasty retreat back under the bed)

By the time I got to the bedside, Ashley had her nose under the bed, and was beginning exploratory maneuvers. I could hear growling and hissing in two-part harmony under the box springs.

I got the dogs out of the bedroom, and shut the door. Now Betsy Cat & Pookie Cat could have the pleasure of each other's company for the rest of the day in my cluttered room.

After the trip to Pappadeauxs with the family, the dogs remained at the casa for a few more hours as Sis and BIL went to see some friends. I finally had the house de-doggified at 9 pm that night.

It took much rattling of the kittytreat canister before Betsy Cat's greedy gut overcame her sense of caution. Pookie Cat was under the bed for much longer...

So, Betsy Cat? Whaddya think about dogs?

"Dogs suck, and I am unanimous in that..."


Pookie Cat, what's your opinion?

"El Capitan, you suck for letting those nasty things in here. Plus, they ate outta my cat food bowl!"