Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Saturday, June 16, 2007

That's Tenoriffic Talent!

I'm Up WAY Past My Bedtime...

I know, I know... Posting YouTube videos again instead of writing... Still, this one's worth it.

There's apparently some minor TV show called American Idol where people sing and get voted off after being savaged by some grouchy British guy and a dipsomaniacal singer and some guy that's NOT one of the Jackson 5. I've never managed to actually see a show, but it's quite the topic of conversation at work.

Turns out the grouchy British guy does the same thing in Old Blighty on a show called 'Britain's Got Talent'. Never seen that one, either, mostly due to my residing on this side of the pond.

So, on this Brit TV show, there's this portly Welsh guy that looks like he took a belt in the kisser from a pipe wrench that comes on stage and announces that he's going to sing opera. A slightly less grouchy British guy looks at the grouchy British guy with an expression of "Oh, God, just kill me now..." The grouchy British guy tenses up, ready to tear this unassuming Welshman a new bunghole...

And then the Welsh guy starts to sing.

It's a weird edited version of Nessun Dorma from Puccini's Turandot**, no doubt edited for time constraints.

How did he do? Judge for yourself!




Gave me goosebumps, even on the 3rd viewing...

Oh, the guy's nme is Paul Potts, he won the semi-finals and is going to the Finals!

**How did I know this? Well, for one, it's on the video title. But El Capitan also has the 2 CD set of "25 Opera Arias That You Ought To Know" that occasionally accompanies him on cross-country trips. You'd be most amused to hear La donna รจ mobile sung (badly) in a Texas drawl, but neither love nor money will ever drag it out of me in public...