Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Your Cross To Bear

Who's The Patron Saint Of Shin Splints?

Houston may be a miserably hot, moist city, but it's damn sure never dull.  There's always something new to see..

For the second time in a week, I've been taking my usual route home through Memorial Park, and spotted a Cross-bearer taking the Via Dolorosa around the jogging path.

Mixed in with all the joggers, walkers, dogs, strollers and assorted health nuts, here's a guy in running togs dragging a huge crucifix around the park.

Well, I say dragging.  Not really.  And therein lies my gripe.

It's a big chunk of lumber, solidly constructed out of 4x4s. Probably measures a good 10 feet in height.  However, on the lower part of the cross is mounted a large wheel, presumably to aid in the carting of the load.

OK, putting a wheel on it keeps you from tearing up the turf and whatnot from the act of dragging.  I can see that.

There's also the shoulder pad.  Nestled in one corner of the upright is what appears to be a professionally done cushion.  I couldn't see exactly what it was made of, but my guess is leather or naugahyde. (those poor naugas...)

Now, far be it from me to tell you how to wear your hair shirt, but it seems to me that if you want to drag around a life-size crucifix, you'd limit yourself to a small towel for padding.  Seems to me some pain and discomfort would be part of the deal.

Perhaps I'm wrong.  Any professional cross-bearers out there, please set me straight!